Study and conservation of Claude Monet's The Rocks at Belle-Île
As part of a large-scale re-exhibition of the Gallery of European and American Art of the 19th and 20th centuries, Claude Monet's painting Rocks at Belle-Île, Port-Domois has been moved to the restoration workshop of the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts. Within the next three months, specialists of the museum will carry out a comprehensive study of the painting, as well as the necessary treatments.
This work was the first work by Claude Monet to enter the collection of Sergei Shchukin. Subsequently, his collection included eleven paintings by Monet, created in different periods of the artist's life.
Monet worked on the painting in the autumn of 1886. It is known that the artist was on the island of Belle-Île from September 12 to November 25. During that period, he produced about forty works, including six versions of the cliffs known as the Pyramids of Port-Coton. The composition closest to the painting in Shchukin's collection is in the collection of the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotekin Copenhagen. All six versions were exhibited in 1889 at the Georges Petit Gallery. The preface to the exhibition catalogue was written by the playwright, critic and novelist Octave Mirbeau, who was also extremely popular in Russia.
When the planned works are completed, Claude Monet's work will return to the museum's permanent exhibition.